Happy 1st day of December! 25 days until Christmas!!!!! Definitely winter and definitely time to pull out the slow cooker. One of the greatest kitchen inventions. I use mine a lot more in the colder months, it’s really easy to use, can save you a ton of time and since you don’t need to add oil-it trims a lot of the fat.
Today I made a super easy hearty and healthy chill recipe. Full of vegetables and protein. To get started:
1. Wash, and cube 2 large bell peppers. You can roughly chop these as they will become smaller as they cook.
2. Same goes for one large red onion.
3. Take 2 cloves of garlic and finely mince it. I had the already minced you can buy in a jar and used about a tablespoon.
4. In a large skillet add the peppers, onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
5. To the skillet also add 2 lbs of ground beef. I used lean and organic to keep it cleaner. Cook until meat is browned.
6. Measure out 2 teaspoons of ground mustard.
7. Measure our 3 teaspoons of chill powder. Add more if you like it spicier.
8. Open 3 cans of whatever bean variety you love. I used mostly chickpeas. Rinse well.
9. Add EVERYTHING to the slow cooker. EVERYTHING. Including 2 cans of tomato paste. Season to taste.
10. Let it cook on high for 4-5 hours and VOILA!!!!